Peter Loso was main settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German settlement deal in August, 1854. He said section 9-10 which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon followed and the Township was sorted out in 1858 covering 81 square kilometers. Actually called Clinton, St. Joseph purchased its current name in 1870. Many settlers came up for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Village was contained in 1890. As the township grew, so does the needs of its people, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their agenda in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a jail, install a general public well, build and repair wooden sidewalks, and place liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also problems and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was sorted out, which is currently the St. Joseph Fire Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was thriving with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the young families after multiple years of hardship because read more of the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 reducing enough time to milk cows so additional time could be allocated to click here crops and pet animal care. Soon after, World Warfare 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to deal with.
After the war ended individuals were able to get their lives again on track, at least for some time, before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in place so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. While using depression effecting every person in town, the community needed to keep together more than ever. Through a federal government give, the Council could hire the unemployed to help clean and maintain the Village.
On December 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially entered the US into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens received out because so many items were an issue. In those days St. Joseph experienced a inhabitants of around 1050, losing 10 heroic soldiers to the battle. The community remained strong and continuing to enhance the Town, adding a normal water tower in 1949, plus a new Community well. In 1959, St. Joseph commenced fluoridating its normal water supply, and continues to do so.